Here are some possible goals:
1. School plays are great experience. Casting directors like actors with theatre/stage experience.
2. Community theatre plays are another way to train yourself and work with adult actors who can teach you a lot and maybe even help make connections.
3. Make your own short films. Even if you make bad short films, you still learn a lot of acting and then watching yourself. Have fun with it and don't worry about being good. But watch the finished film and think about how you can do better.
4. Start a YouTube channel. You can even make a little money by monetizing the video. And if you're lucky, you'll have a viral hit and make your mark early. Here is my Freedrama YouTube channel:
5. Start going to Auditions. Here is a great source for auditions: http://www.actorsequity.org/CastingCall/castingcallhome.asp
6. Try Freelance Websites such as Fiverr.com where you can offer to making acting videos or record voice overs for marketing and advertising - if you sign up for Fiverr, there is a good chance I will hire you. So if you do sign up for Fiverr.com, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know. I might feature you on my blog as a way to help you promote this. :)
Agents: It's better to wait until you have some experience before going to an agent. Agents want to see that you can get paid work with your acting. Once you get a paid acting job, that's when you can go to an agent and ask to be represented.
TIP: Avoid agents you charge you money up front. A good agent will only charge you a percentage when you get a paid acting job. They only get paid if you get paid work.
Check the Screen Actor's Guild (SAG) website for approved acting agents. Here is a list of SAG approved agents. The best agents will be on this list: http://www.sagaftra.org/agency-relations/sag-franchised-agents
Going Hollywood: The best way to go to Los Angeles or New York City is to be a college student. USC, UCLA and NYU are great schools with connections to the film and theatre industry. At these universities, you create a network of people who will help you get jobs in the future. Plus a degree gives you other options to make money in the future. Acting rarely pays the bills so it's good to have something to fall back on, especially when you get started.
There are other cities such as Austin, Texas or Orlando, Florida that have a lower cost of living and have active film industries. You can consider these places as well.
Write about your acting plans and goals for the future.
Students who complete all lessons including recording two monologues (and making corrections from the instructor) will get a Freedrama.net Acting School Certificate. Be sure to email email@example.com about your certificate to see if you met all the requirements.
When you've earned a certificate, you are eligible to receive a Freedrama Acting School shirt as well. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Go to a list of all lessons for the Free Acting School
|Watch out for people like this!|